Periodontics is a specialty that focuses on the treatment of the gums and surrounding tissues that support the teeth.
Periodontal disease can be caused by many factors including smoking, a particular medical condition, certain medications, genetics and most commonly, it is related to the presence of abundant bacteria due to poor oral hygiene.
What are the risk factors?
- Poor oral hygiene;
- Pregnancy and menopause (hormonal changes);
- A weakened immune system (HIV/AIDS, leukemia, etc.).
Signs and symptoms
There are several signs and symptoms that should be brought to a dentist’s attention.
- Gingivitis: redness, bleeding and inflammation of the gums.
- Tooth loosening: bone loss that can lead to hypersensitivity, loss of papillae between teeth, tooth mobility until teeth are lost.
- Bad breath. Bad taste in the mouth.
- Pain when chewing.
- Periodontal abscess.
The damage caused is irreversible and tooth loss is possible if no periodontal treatment is performed.
Our dentists will advise you and suggest the best treatment plan for your needs.